Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just one Glider #1038371
12/09/10 02:46 PM
12/09/10 02:46 PM

M
MasterPalak
Unregistered
MasterPalak
Unregistered
M

I am a 21 year old college student who has been looking for the ideal first pet that I can call my very own. I have had pets my whole life a total of 5 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 birds; I am considering getting a sugar glider for my self. After the research I have been doing for the past few weeks I am fairly certain I can handle the responsibility of a Sugar Glider there is only one real concern I have about the prospect of acquiring the animal and that is if I definitely need to get them in pairs.

I am nervous that two would just be too much. I think one is better for me, but what is the truth about a solitary glider. I have seen cites that say one is fine on it's own if you give it enough attention, I have seen others that say absolutely never have one a lone, and I have seen cites for pretty much everything in between. What are your opinions?

Also, I am not opposed to getting a second one eventually, maybe over the summer after I am comfortable with my first. i Just don't know if I can handle two right away.

Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1038374
12/09/10 02:52 PM
12/09/10 02:52 PM
Indiana, USA
Rubym Offline
Glider Lover
Rubym  Offline
Glider Lover

Indiana, USA
IMO they are better in pairs. most come from breeders that have had them in groups and they are used to being in colonies ( even if small ones) from early on. I know when my Baka cant find his brother he doesnt stop barking till he he finds him. No matter how hard we try to give them enough attention...we cant. Honestly me having 2 is no more work then if I had 1. They go in the bonding pouch together, they have tent time together. They stay up all night and chat to each other, lol. The only extra work is making double helpings of food. This is just my opinion though. Good luck in getting your new baby or babies.

Ruby
www.rubyssuggieshak.weebly.com
fur babies Baka :grey: Manu :grey: :bb: Adara and Neera
, leopard, crested and gargoyle geckos,a rotten beagle ( Beauregard), a rotten english bulldaog puppy( oREN), 1 blood python, 1 redtail boa, 1 argentine boa and 3 corns
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1038382
12/09/10 03:05 PM
12/09/10 03:05 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

They are better in pairs but could be kept alone of you can give them a lot of love and attention. My dad, and one of my friends both have single gliders and they are very happy. They haven't had any issues with them being alone.

I personally recomend having two. That way if for some reason you can't play with one then they have a cagemate to keep them company. I think it would be ok for you to go ahead and get one and then get it a friend later. As long as you can spend time with it then that should be ok. Im glad you are doing your research first. That shows that you really want to do what is best for the gliders!

I also think they are SO much fun to watch in pairs! smile

Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1038384
12/09/10 03:11 PM
12/09/10 03:11 PM

E
Enoli
Unregistered
Enoli
Unregistered
E

i will be getting one and getting a friend for him down the road as well, the only down side to getting a second one later down the road is you have to buy two cages and food bows etc. until it is time to put the gliders in the same cage.

Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1038883
12/10/10 03:57 PM
12/10/10 03:57 PM
VA, USA
mithryanna Offline
Joey Member
mithryanna  Offline
Joey Member

VA, USA
I think one glider can be fine on its own. If you want your baby to be truly happy, though, two is best. So starting with one now and getting a second later is a good option, but as Enoli pointed out you will incur extra expenses (not just money but also time!) to introduce them to each other. Plus if you get both at once from the same breeder, they're probably already familiar with each other and will get along that much better.

My feelings on 1v2: I think of my dad's cats. We started with one, and he was definitely happy. We gave him tons of love and attention and he was everyone's best friend. But of course we had to go to work (or classes!), and he didn't always sleep when we did, so he had to spend some time alone. Honestly, he was fine, and perfectly happy--but from the moment we brought our second cat home to keep Anthony company, we knew we had done the right thing by getting him a buddy. All of our love and affection is great, but it really doesn't compare to having Timothy around. Anthony and Timothy have a special bond that I think only two cats can have, never cat-human. It's kind of like how as a woman, your girl friends are different from your guy friends, and vice versa for men. There's just a common ground there that you don't have with the opposite sex. For gliders, I think humans are great, and yes they bond with us, and love us, but we're not a complete replacement for their own kind. Just my view.

But like I said, I do think you can own just one glider and keep them perfectly happy and healthy--just not as happy as they could be if you had two.

Last edited by mithryanna; 12/10/10 03:58 PM.

~Lauren~

Mommy of Jaba :wfb: , Zazu :wfb: , and Sundance! :rtmo:

Feel free to PM or e-mail me at lforney.umw@gmail.com if you need help with html, php, or other web-related woes!
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1038909
12/10/10 04:13 PM
12/10/10 04:13 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Getting two and going through the bonding with them is just as easy as starting with just one glider.

The important thing is to find a reputable breeder or rescuer (if you are willing to take in an older glider instead of a joey). They will work with you to find you just the right glider/s. Don't let the words "Rescue" or "Rehome" scare you away. Many of these babies are absolutely the sweetest little gliders in the world who just need new homes.

I have many gliders and some of them are "singles". I am always trying to find other gliders that will "adopt" my singles into their homes (cages). While the singles are doing ok, I can tell they are just not as happy as they were when they had cage mates (some are single because they lost their mates or due to injuries, various reasons).

We can give them all the love in the world but we can't speak their language and we can't be there with them all the time to snuggle with them.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1038936
12/10/10 04:56 PM
12/10/10 04:56 PM
Saint Louis MO
xSwtxSugaX Offline
Glider Addict
xSwtxSugaX  Offline
Glider Addict

Saint Louis MO
I started with one and I have to say I wish I had known better. Getting a pair would have saved me some money and confusion. My glider is happy since I got her a bigger cage and made her lots of toys, but we just cant fill that space in her heart. She needs a companion. She goes through times where she just sits and zones out. Were getting another glider here in a few weeks, but I vote for 2! They are awesome animals, they remind me alot of humans! And in that aspect wouldnt you want a friend if you were locked up in a cage all night? smile

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals"

*Stitch* :grey: *Button* :wfb: *Charlie* :leu:

Cats: Rista and Cali

~*Stacie*~
Re: Just one Glider [Re: xSwtxSugaX] #1038939
12/10/10 05:02 PM
12/10/10 05:02 PM
La Crosse, WI
Jos Offline
Glider Explorer
Jos  Offline
Glider Explorer

La Crosse, WI
Coming from someone who just bought two little boys myself, I honestly wouldn't consider buying a single unless I had plans to move them in with my twins. You can't snuggle in their pouch with them, you can't chase them around the cage playing tag like a cagemate can.

I vote for two. I have both of mine in a pouch with me all day, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mom to

Ivory (husky mix)6/2006 - 12/23/2009 RIP babygirl
Punk (Pomeranian)
:wfb: Jazz, Rock, & Roll, Trance and Rave (oop 7-15-2011)!
:leu: My sweet little Swing
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1038959
12/10/10 05:37 PM
12/10/10 05:37 PM
Wisconsin
glidermom71 Offline
Glider Guardian
glidermom71  Offline
Glider Guardian

Wisconsin
Hi and :welcome: to Glider Central.

Please do more research before you make your final decision. Please read about the different diets and choose one that will work for you and your glider or gliders.

Everyone here are wonderful and are very helpful.
This is a great place to be to ask questions, so don't be afraid to ask.

Slave to:
2 suggies~Diamond & Jewels (oop 9/27/10)
1 Miniature Pinscher~Minmin

Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039185
12/11/10 03:05 AM
12/11/10 03:05 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Hi and welcome to GliderCentral wave

You have been given great advice. Sugar gliders really are better adjusted living with one or more of their own kind.

I would also suggest that you get two at once, it will make things a lot easier on you. thumb

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039204
12/11/10 04:22 AM
12/11/10 04:22 AM
CT
HoneyGirl Offline
In Pouch
HoneyGirl  Offline
In Pouch

CT
I have had my little girl for about a month and a half and I almost immediately realized she needs a companion. I have been looking and looking ever since I brought her home. I also wish I had gotten two at once instead of adding one down the road. I hear her at night running in her wheel and jingling her bells and toys and I sooo wish I could climb in her cage and run around with her...lol. I would say definitely get two. The less expensive way is to get them both at once because adding one later adds to the overall expense. Good luck!!!

Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039213
12/11/10 05:25 AM
12/11/10 05:25 AM

H
HeatherB
Unregistered
HeatherB
Unregistered
H

I remember seeing the same thing when researching-some sites said one-some said two...so confusing. confused But I have had a bit of experience with the one vs. two. The truth is, in a way both sides are right. Yes, some do fine by themselves, but others do not. It doesn't depend on whether all sugar gliders need a companion...but whether YOUR sugar glider as a individual does, in other words I think whether or not a companion is a must depends on a individual glider and their personality. I started with one male glider and he overgroomed until I got him his friend. To this day, I kick myself in the butt for not just getting two (at the same time). It would have saved a ton of stress. I spent well over a month trying to find a companion, then even more time going through introductions (which are scary), and stressing each and every day to spend time with him which turned into around 8 hours a day even when I wasn't feeling so hot, or busy. I am not saying you must get two, but be aware of what to expect and possible downsides (whether minimal or large) when having only one glider. You will have to play with him or her more to make sure he/she doesn't get bored, you will have to spend a lot of time daily with your single glider even if you are busy with work or school, if you get a second later you will have to go through introductions and a small possibility that they won't get along, and even if you spend all the time in the world with your glider it may not be enough if that particular glider really thrives from other glider companionship like my guy does. smile

Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039241
12/11/10 09:42 AM
12/11/10 09:42 AM
SC
johnsgirl02 Offline
Glider Explorer
johnsgirl02  Offline
Glider Explorer

SC
I think getting two at the same time is the better choice. In my opinion it's not more work to have two. I actually think it's easier. I got just one at first because the breeder I got mine from only had one. Then her brother was available so I got him. She was a totally different glider when she got a friend! She was much more friendly and playful. And if you get them at the same time you don't have to worry about quarantine or introducing them to each other.

New mom to 2 gliders, :grey: Zoey and Bandit :grey:

1- Loving Husband
2- Skin Kids
1- Dachshund named Pluto
1- Mastiff named Loki
1- gerbil named Tasha
Several fishies
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039278
12/11/10 12:17 PM
12/11/10 12:17 PM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
You have been given some great advice. Two at once are better than only one. Cheaper and easier.

:grey: Casper (Bozeman) & Liezl (Gizmogirl):grey:
www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

PackinFuzz.com Sugar Glider Online Store

RIP: Sugar (2009) :grey:
You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039518
12/11/10 11:13 PM
12/11/10 11:13 PM
CT
crisis668 Offline
Glider Explorer
crisis668  Offline
Glider Explorer

CT
You should think of it this way.
You are a person stranded on a deserted island. Alone with no one.
You befriend a monkey. You become very attached to this monkey because he is your ONLY friend. You play with him and have fun and hang out, but
at night, he goes his way and you go yours. The monkey has other monkeys to hang with, you unfortunately, have no human to be with.
Although you are somewhat content because you have a friend that loves you, do you think you are completely content not having another human
to interact with?
Well, I think that is how a sugar glider would feel.
Because they are colony animals they need another to talk to, and play with, groom each other, and care for each other. They keep each other warm,
protect one another, play fight with each other, share food together,
and did you ever watch 2 gliders playing leap frog on a stealth wheel?
It is the most awesome thing you will see, along with 2 of them snuggled up together in a pouch.
Just get 2. It is much easier taking care of 2, than just 1.
1 glider is an enormous responsibility, as you will be the sole provider of their well being, which requires lots and lots of attention as they are needy, lonely little things on their own.

:grey: Meeko :cream: Pudge
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039723
12/12/10 02:42 PM
12/12/10 02:42 PM
Florida
suggie_mom2 Offline
Joey Member
suggie_mom2  Offline
Joey Member

Florida
I too am a 21 year old college student laugh I rescued my first glider, Gizmo, this past summer. The owners were not only poorly educated in glider care, they also let there gliders free-range their home WITH CATS...UNSUPERVISED! He unfortunately lost his mate before I got him. I spent a lot of time with him while we searched for a suitable cagemate. But no matter how many hours I spent with him, I just couldn't crawl in his sleeping pouch with him. He started getting depressed thankfully he didn't self-mutilate.

We ended up having to rescue Gidget a few months later. And Gizmo's mood drastically changed. Before we could even get them together in the same cage, Gizmo would watch her from his and "follow" her around. He's never been happier and I think that even though Gizmo would have been o.k. with lots and lots (i mean 6+ hours a day) of attention from me, he's soooooo much happier and healthier with his Gidget. It's not much more work having the two then one. I understand having to balance classes and glider love time and everything else and really having the two of them has done nothing but enhance my life. Plus they play together at night which is fun to watch. I vote 2 gliders. grin

Christina. 23. Graduate student. Glider mom.

My furchildren

:grey: Gizmo
:wfb: Gidget
a neurotic kitty named Squishy heart
Re: Just one Glider [Re: ] #1039947
12/12/10 10:52 PM
12/12/10 10:52 PM
New Mexico
Viciousencounter Offline
Glider Explorer
Viciousencounter  Offline
Glider Explorer

New Mexico
After Luna stopped eating I thought it would be really sad to be completely alone in the world. To know that once you were surrounded by friend and you came to live with this giant that took you from everyone.

She started pulling her hair and stopped sleeping and eating completely after three weeks of being alone.

I would get use to having two right away because thats how it should be.

Genetically and Emotionally gliders are meant to be kept in numbers 2+. They are never solitary animals.

It takes a strikingly ridiculous amount of human companionship to keep a glider from feeling this. If you plan on be able to pay attention to your other animals and maybe walk around during the day without wearing the lone glider at all hours I suggest saving up for two.

I spent a lot of time with Luna. Every night and all day. It wasn't enough.

Personally I would not risk keeping it alone or put an animal that is meant to be in packs alone. Thats not how it was suppose to work.

Check out my site for cage accessories!!!

Vicious Encounters Store

I love my four furbat ladies!
Re: Just one Glider [Re: crisis668] #1039962
12/12/10 11:09 PM
12/12/10 11:09 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Originally Posted By: crisis668
You should think of it this way.
You are a person stranded on a deserted island. Alone with no one.
You befriend a monkey. You become very attached to this monkey because he is your ONLY friend. You play with him and have fun and hang out, but
at night, he goes his way and you go yours. The monkey has other monkeys to hang with, you unfortunately, have no human to be with.
Although you are somewhat content because you have a friend that loves you, do you think you are completely content not having another human
to interact with?
Well, I think that is how a sugar glider would feel.
Because they are colony animals they need another to talk to, and play with, groom each other, and care for each other. They keep each other warm,
protect one another, play fight with each other, share food together,
and did you ever watch 2 gliders playing leap frog on a stealth wheel?
It is the most awesome thing you will see, along with 2 of them snuggled up together in a pouch.
Just get 2. It is much easier taking care of 2, than just 1.
1 glider is an enormous responsibility, as you will be the sole provider of their well being, which requires lots and lots of attention as they are needy, lonely little things on their own.

I love this! Sums it up well!

Re: Just one Glider [Re: Dancing] #1040008
12/12/10 11:57 PM
12/12/10 11:57 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Getting two and going through the bonding with them is just as easy as starting with just one glider.

The important thing is to find a reputable breeder or rescuer (if you are willing to take in an older glider instead of a joey). They will work with you to find you just the right glider/s. Don't let the words "Rescue" or "Rehome" scare you away. Many of these babies are absolutely the sweetest little gliders in the world who just need new homes.

I have many gliders and some of them are "singles". I am always trying to find other gliders that will "adopt" my singles into their homes (cages). While the singles are doing ok, I can tell they are just not as happy as they were when they had cage mates (some are single because they lost their mates or due to injuries, various reasons).

We can give them all the love in the world but we can't speak their language and we can't be there with them all the time to snuggle with them.

My first gliders were both older singles that adopted each other and both were VERY happy little gliders when they met! They'd been alone so long, intros were not hard at all. Oreo was a sweetie from the get-go, and Skittles just needed companionship and time. smile

Definitely go for two, and if you can give some gliders a second chance at a real home, it is very rewarding!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024